Scale75 Paint Range Early Thoughts

The Scale75 paint range has recently been added to the line of products at my local game store, Irresistible Force. I am a bit of a weirdo when it comes to paints, and everything in general: When I find something I like I tend to stick with it, and when I buy something I insist on buying everything. I have got a nice eclectic mix of paints I use, the majority of Vallejo Model colours, Game Colour, some P3 paints, and a few GW colours. I picked up a few Scale75 colours to give them a try.

My first experience with them was not what I was expecting. I cracked out some flesh tones and tried Blackhearts face. It came out really nicely, and also, a lot brighter than I usually paint! I have a fairly dark style of painting, with lots of shading and washes, so painting something that bright was a real departure for me.

However I really struggled with one thing, and that was the translucency of the paint as it went on, to when it dried. As the paint went on, it was very transparent, but it dried almost entirely opaque. That made it pretty difficult to know just how much water I needed to add, and how much colour to mix to create a nice blend.

I also had trouble with the consistency of the paint. I was getting a lot of translucent liquid as it came out of the bottle. I am not a rookie painter, I shook the bottle quite thoroughly and was still getting that issue.
Anyway I decided I would not add any more colours to my collection. Then some more sets arrived and I bought in anyway. After finishing off my Hunters models I committed to painting a team in entirely Scale75 to really give them a trial run.
I settled on a colour scheme a while back, Red and Blue with some cream sections, to relive my glory days painting an Empire army, the imperial army of Altdorf! I decided to try various methods out, airbrushing, normal brush painting, washing with the colours. The first test run was on Blackheart, who I had stripped off to start afresh with.
I airbrushed Rage, and Coin, and Mist, and had some really good results.
So here are the learnings I have taken now!


1) Shake the bottle until your hand hurts then shake some more. I finally had a good result when I shook a bottle for so long I thought it would break. The paint came out beautifully. I have never had to mix a paint as much as this range before.


2) It has a really, really matt finish. This can actually be deceptive for how smooth your blending is, and what the finished product will look like. It also makes airbrushing absolutely crucial for your first coat I think. The finish on Rage and Mist is really soft and nice, thanks to the airbrush. It always is but it felt more important this time.



3) This paint really isnt designed for painting an army. I am used to being able to “wetbrush” on highlights and blend things quite quickly. I simply cannot do that with the Scale75 range. It is not really a range I would recommend to anyone doing a large force. However, the smoothness of the transitions when you blend properly is really great.


4) Starting with a really bright colour, and using lots of shading works exceptionally well. It takes a lot longer to create a highlight. The colours, even the black have a lot more colour than you would expect. The black is more of a dark brown.


5) It is crucial to mix between colours to create nice transitions. Whilst this is important with other ranges, I think it is vital here, and lots of small changes makes a big difference.



6) The final step, and I think the most important so far, has been the addition of a satin varnish. I was overall a little unimpressed with Blackheart when I finished him off, then I decided to try a little varnish. It made a huge difference, the blends all smoothed out, the colours seemed more vibrant.

I have now finished nine of the Union guys and they are really coming together. I don’t think I will make a complete switch to the Scale75 but I will definitely be adding a few of the colours to my regular rotation.