Heat treated steel bushings as above, but with the addition of a Titanium Nitride coating to further increase the effective surface hardness and reduce sizing friction. Bushings are available throughout the range of .185" thru .368" in .001" increments. The last three digits of the part (#RD76XXX) denotes bushing size.
Determining Redding Bushing Size
The proper bushing size can be easily determined by measuring the outside neck diameter of your loaded cartridges with a precision micrometer or a dial caliper. Then, simply subtract .001" from the cartridge that had the smallest average neck diameter. This diameter bushing will generally size case necks just enough to create the proper press fit for the bullet.
If you are using a Type “S” style die and not turning the outside of your case necks, we suggest using a bushing .002" smaller than your smallest average neck diameter, and using the expander ball included with your Type “S” die. This size bushing will still give you minimal sizing (maximizing the life of your brass) and the expander ball will insure that each cartridge has the same bullet grip.
Redding has found that when you have cases with neck wall thicknesses on the thin side of the SAAMI tolerance, your fired case will measure considerably larger (.006" to .010" larger) than your loaded rounds. In these circumstances, Redding’s tests have shown that a bushing .001" larger (than the loaded round) may give you the desired bullet grip.
Sinclair, Issue:1B, Page:043
One-Package Precision Sighting Solution for Your AR-15
Vortex’s Strike Eagle 1-8x24 with Brownells mount is the quickest way to get a versatile, easy-to-use, fast-on-target scope on your AR-15. With a non-magnified true 1x view on the low end up to a full 8x zoom, the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 sets you up to address a variety of sighting scenarios, from engaging targets at point-blank out to extended ranges.
The included Brownells (080-001-351) mount means you have everything you need to install your Strike Eagle 1-8x24 on your AR-15 flattop rifle. Other features of the potent combo:
- AR-BDC2 reticle subtends with popular .556 cartridges
- Fast-focus eyepiece
- Red illuminated, glass-etched reticle has a center target dot with a surrounding "halo" to aid in fast, instinctive sighting
- Single-piece aluminum tube ensures proper alignment of the lenses and adjustment mechanism for optimal performance
- Fogproof (nitrogen gas purged), shockproof, O-ring sealed to be waterproof & keep out dust
- Capped reset turret
- Impressive 100 MOA windage/elevation adjustment in 1/2 MOA increments - "fast" doesn’t mean sacrificing precision
- Ideal for home defense, tactical competition, feral hog removal, and just about any other fast-targeting scenario
The Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 scope with Brownells mount is the get-it-done sighting system that makes your Modern Sporting Rifle complete.